Is SaveBig.com A Scam?

One of the big questions about penny auctions people want to know is, are they scams and more specifically is SaveBig.com a scam? While some people have complained about SaveBig penny auctions that they paid more for an item than they wanted to or that they paid so much to try and get in on the great iPad auction deal they found, but they didn’t win, this usually comes from people not reading the fine print and not understanding how penny auctions work.

My first piece of advice to you in answering the question is SaveBig.com a scam is, don’t join any penny auction website with out reading the rules and terms of service first. I can’t stress this enough! You wouldn’t buy a car without reading the fine print, you wouldn’t join eBay without reading the fine print and you wouldn’t buy a game console such as an XBOX 360 and not read the instruction book, so why would you join a penny auction site and not read the instruction to figure out how it works and how to win the items you want without spending too much money?

Another area where people go wrong with penny auctions and at SaveBig.com is that they think these sites are like eBay when in fact they are not at all like eBay. On penny auction sites like Save Big when you join you purchase a bid pack in quantities ranging from 100 up you to either 300 or 500 bids (they differ with all penny auction sites), each bid costs 60 cents, that means every time you place a bid it costs you 60 cents, and the price of the item being bid on goes up by 1 cent every time a bid is placed on that particular item.

The secret to winning auctions at a penny auction site is to wait until the auction price starts to get close to the price of preciously sold items of the exact same kind or similar items and then start bidding. Another penny auction trick is to never bid on any item until there is less than 20 seconds left to go. Think about it why would you place a 60 cent bid at a penny auction when there is 3 or 4 hours left to go in the auction? That’s just a wasted bid.

I’ve been watching SaveBig.com auctions for a few weeks now and I personally don’t see any evidence of a scam going on there. But some people simple don’t read the terms of service at these kind of sites and don’t do their due diligence in investigating how these sites work and then they cry about some hard luck story. I’ve even had someone try to leave a comment on this blog stating it is a fact that SaveBig.com is a scam because they use bid bots, and then they don’t offer any facts whatsoever. If you want to leave a comment such as that on this blog, you need to state the facts to back up your alleged facts.

if you want to get in on the deals a SaveBig.com you can join here but, don’t join before you read all about how the site works.

This entry was posted in Auction Sites and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Is SaveBig.com A Scam?

1. henry king says:

This penny auction might not be a scam, but they certainly overstate the “Value Price” on almost all of their auction, some almost 100%, and they are available for purchase for non-winners at the value price after the auction. Those that are close to the real value (i.e., I-Pad 2) are not available for purchase. What a racket!

2. Julie says:

This is in response to the terms of service listed on the site and a FREE promotion offering 50 bids. Myth Busting: Really think you can get something for nothing with a free bid promotion? Do a little research first. You’ll find numerous complaints that there is a $99 hidden fee. I tested this theory for my blog. I read the ‘terms of service’ fine print with the only reference to this hidden fee being that you will have to purchase bids before using the site. I spoke with someone on their live chat & asked if there was an automatic registration fee that would be charged the answer was the same was the limited info in the terms of service (re: that you need to buy bids before being able to bid). Once you register you do get the 50 free bids they are promoting but your credit card will be charged $99 for a package of bought bids. They issued an email refund confirmation for the ‘full’ amount when I called & told me it would take 5-7 business days to show on the card. When the refund was issued she referred to this $99 fee as a ‘membership fee’ & that the site is a paid membership site. One can not even see what is on the auction site without paying what the customer service representative referred to as a membership fee. I have no issue with the penny auction system & all sites I’ve seen thus far are run as such. However, I do think they need to write the terms of service fully disclosing the amount your credit card will be charged automatically upon sign-up and it would go better with consumers if they allowed registration for free but then members could not bid without buying bids once their account is already setup and they’ve had a chance to review the site and review auctions. It’s sort of like charging someone an entrance fee just to be able to grab a seat at an auction and then telling them they can only bid until that fee is exhausted and then they have to pay additional money whether the item is won or not. You definitely need to be savvy to take advantage of the savings.

3. Dysdain says:

I read the small print and I understand how the auctions work. My question is, how do we know that people bidding on items are legit? A couple well placed “dummy” accounts to inflate prices and stir up bid wars would go a long way for their bottom line.

I have no evidence that they are doing this, however; I have been watching a few bids closely and either a lot of people have no concept of bid strategy or there is something fishy going on. Once an item gets below 15 seconds left, every few minutes a different person starts bidding, over and over… usually 50-100 times, then drops out and quits bidding to be replaced with a new person doing the same.

I for one bid strategically, waiting for the clock to get down to 3 seconds or so to see if anyone else will bid first so i don’t waste .75 cents for nothing. I just can’t figure out why all these accounts drop in, bid, bid, bid. wasteing up to $100, then quit bidding to be replaced by a defferent person doing the same thing.

• Dave says:

Simple answer, I don’t doubt that there could be automated dummy accounts jacking up the price, but I got the iPad 2 for $185 + SH, an iPad Nano 8GB for $0.79 + SH, an Sony Alarm Clock for $0.03 + SH, and 10 other items for less than $1.00. I got all of my stuff within 2 wks, so here you go.

4. alanlest says:

Dysdain,

The best things to do if you don’t feel comfortable bidding at any penny auction site is to just not participate and don’t use the site.

5. Mike Brown says:

Savebig is huge scam, overstating auction prices and selling bids that are worth about 50cents each. Item they sell get hundreds to thoasands of bids or more, totaling to way more than the item is worth (For every 100 bids/ a 1$ increase in price, is 50$ in bids when you total all them up). On top of this, winning an auction is a painful process of wasting vast amounts of time watching people endlessly bid trying to out bid the competion. Thus, savebig.com is a huge scam, scamming individuals out of money and their time.

6. alanlest says:

Mike,

Yea, that’s how penny auctions work. Did you not read the rules and terms of service, which I recommend EVERYONE read before they join any penny auction site?

7. kittycat says:

I purchased an item. Paid promptly. I have not received the item. I asked why and was told they needed my correct address and should do that at my account. There is no place to do that on their website and whoops on the confirmation email my address is correct and complete. Yes a definite scam and I read the rules before I signed up. No more bids there for me as I could find no really great bargains that they advertise.

8. BidHere says:

Bigger penny auction sites are definitely serious and legit businesses. Don`t call them scammers that easily. Number of happy winners are definitely getting great bargains there every day. You have to understand that good sites are crowded. Winning is very much real but not too easy.